Thursday, November 17, 2011

Random: Pride and Prejudice Edition

I finally watched the 5 hour version of Pride and Prejudice. Here are a few thoughts on it:

Why on earth would Mr.Bennett marry someone as ridiculous as Mrs. Bennett?

This longer version is so much more drawn out. It's not a bad thing, I'm just used to the shorter version and things going so much quicker.

I think Jane is so not cute. She has no neck. And the faces she makes look idiotic.

Mr. Whickam is seriously creepy.

The mother in this one is truly truly annoying. The actress is superb.

In the newer version the Bennett family seems a lot more poor.

I officially fell in Love with this Mr. Darcy after the swimming scene.

I fell in love with Mr. Darcy in the new one as soon as I laid eyes on him.....mmmmm Matthew McFayden.

I am glad I watched this old one but will always love the newer one more.

6 comments:

Libby said...

I LOVE the A&E 5 hours version. I've always felt that the newer ones can't even compete. Colin Firth is the BEST Mr. Darcy.

Honestly though, I think most people just prefer the version they saw first. Glad you took the time to watch it though!

Jeanelle said...

I so totally agree with you. The 5 hour Jane has such a horse face and they still talk about what a great beauty she is? Um, no. The shorter version actress who plays Jane is gorgeous. And the long version Mrs. Bennet is the most annoying woman ever - I hated her so much that between her and horse-face, I have such a hard time with the 5 hour version. The actress who played Lizzie is adorable as is Colin Firth but I agree with you about Matthew McFayden. The first time he smiled I think I honestly swooned. And hello, Dame Judi Densch? Awesome. And Mr Collins in the short version is perfection too. Some of the YW in my stake and I post a line from the short version movie pretty much every day on FB. So fun. That movie just makes me happy.

Linds said...

Amen to all of that. I knew I raised you right. ;) It is good, just not as good.

Linds said...

Oh and the other Jane is totally a horse face. She is U-G-L-Y!! And the other Lizzie, ain't that cute either.

The Woolner Family said...

I had a really hard time watching Jane in the 5-hour one! And I've seen nearly every version including the way crappy-costumes all wrong version from the 60s (I think). They always have her wearing V-necks and it is just all wrong with her eyes close together and her small head and it makes her boobs look weird (I have seen this version probably 20x). The thing about the mother is back then people didn't really date, they just met and got married so all she had to do was keep her mouth shut long enough to say "I do". Pretty sad reality, actually. A really fun watch is "Lost in Austen"--check it out!

The DuPree's said...

I love you and all of your friends! The comments are so dead-on perfect and witty! I especially love, "mmmmm Matthew McFayden"... too true my friend! Miss you!