Monday, May 11, 2009

Betty Sue Church Lord: AKA: My Mom...

My mom...where do I begin? When my mom was 11 years old, her parents found out that she had a brain tumor. This was in about 1950. They were able to remove it and she lead a relatively normal life, although the word normal is anything I would use to describe my mother. She is one of the strongest women I know. She has been through more trials than anyone should ever have to go through in a life time. When she was in her early 20's she found The Church. And then a few years later as a single mother of a little boy my father found her. She told him that she would only marry him if he was a member of the church, so he was off and baptized and they got married and had seven more kids in the next 18 years.

I love my mom and there are so many stories that I could tell here, but they are much better when told by her, so if you ever have the chance to meet my mother ask her about the time she rode Harley's with a biker gang or when my brothers jumped out of the second story of our house with an umbrella trying to be Mary Poppins...

I love you mom and am so glad you didn't listen to the doctors when they told you that you shouldn't have any more children. I am thankful that you listened to the spirit and the prayers of your little girl (my big sister) when she asked if she would have a little sister one day. Thanks for always being there for me when when I was a total snot. I hope that one day I can be half as good a mom as you are.
This is my mom on the right with her sister..






My big sister Crystal and my mom when she was pregnant with me






13 comments:

The Little Tracy Fam said...

Okay, Thanks for making me cry!! What an awesome mom.

Allison said...

Awww...so sweet! I love the pictures! And I have to say, I didn't think your kids looked that much like you until I saw that picture of you in the pink dress. Holy cow! It's Sam in a dress!!! I also love the one of your mom looking thoroughly annoyed at the curling iron in your hair.

Aaron & Lacey said...

Can you say mini me? You look just like your Mom, she is gorgous! I love blogs that teach me more about my friends and where they came from. I need to meet this amazing woman!

lynz said...

awww - that was a super cute tribute becki, and i always love the titles of your blog - so creative!

Linds said...

Way cute! I don't really personally know your mom all that well, but I feel like I know her because of you. and I have to agree with Allison, totally Sam in a dress. Scary!!

Nicole Wagner said...

HOLY COW!!! that was a sweet post but the first thing I noticed was how much Sam looks likeyou! I had NO idea! it is twins for sure!! I had to get steve to come over and see and he was totally shocked too!!
Guess that means Sam will be super hot when he's older? haha..just like his MAMA!!!!

Katie said...

your mom sounds amazing...just like you! she is beautiful and i loved the photos. thanks for sharing.

Shaun and Lindsey Reynolds said...

I love the pictures and your mom sounds amazing.

Autumn said...

Great pictures Becki... I agree your Mom is a great lady, and you are so much like her!

tjaden7 said...

Becki, I just had to comment because I do know your mom and she is a wonderful person! When we had just moved to MD and Evan was a 2 year old in the hospital with pneumonia, she was the first person in the ward to come visit! I will never forget that and how much she cared! Can you believe that was 23 years ago? I also enjoy your funny comments on Kate's blog. I'm glad you're still friends after all these years! -Kate's mom

Brandon Hunter Family said...

I don't know if anyone else thinks this is funny, but what are the chances of going from the last name Church to the last name Lord? It's like your parents were meant to be! :)

Carter Fam said...

Ahh, I love this post! So many things I didn't know about your mom. I enjoyed the pictures, you were a cute toddler too!

The Woolner Family said...

Love the old timey pictures. Wish I had some of my mom. That was a great post.